Sunday, October 5, 2008

Biden/Palin debate

I was so excited about Thursday's VP debate, and it didn't let me down.

See, I've gotten some flack at school for liking Sarah Palin's first speech in front of the convention. Even though I disagreed with everything in it, it was a great speech, delivered with humor and intelligence. Palin has since proved herself to be nothing beyond that speech, and probably kind of idiotic, but it was still telling to me that my liberal friends couldn't even accept one ounce of praise for a Republican. That's the sort of reason why the Democrats lose - because they don't recognize the strength of their opponents.

So, I anticipated the debate for weeks, and thought it was great. Palin did hold her own for the first half or so. She's good when she talks about taxes. She's good when she talks about energy. I think she and Biden were about even until just before the gay marriage question.

But, then, we witnessed a trouncing. Biden was awesome throughout - calm, factual, substantive. The longer it went on, the more it was clear that Palin really has nothing to talk about. It's a pretty sad state of affairs that anyone could look at her performance and she she was adequate. One heartbeat away! She was terrible. And the whole winking and coquettishness is really sad and demeaning. Say what you want to about Hillary, she never stooped to that.

As for Biden, he was tremendous. I want him to debate instead of Obama for the rest of the campaign. Let Obama make the speeches and direct the policy with his steady hand (his calm behavior during the campaign has been masterful, even with McCain's attacks getting more and more unethical), and Biden can debate and attack.

No comments: