Saturday, September 13, 2008

Nelly's Echo

About four weeks ago, at my last weekend of shifts working at the second job, it was dead so I took a walk. I walked by The Waterfront Hotel, and heard a rock band covering "Movin' On Up," the theme song to The Jeffersons. I stopped in, and saw one of the most unusual bands I've ever seen - a black male lead singer and guitarist, a white blonde woman on bass, and a white guy on drums. Their sound was also not the usual bar band sound; it had a soulfulness to it that probably came mostly from the lead singer's throaty vocals.

I was wearing waiter garb, in all black, and was standing my the door, nearly enthralled. The band was apparently finishing up their set, and the lead singer turned around to me, and, thinking that I was the door man, asked if they had time for more. I nodded "yes," and they played a couple more. It was really good, and I ended up buying their CD on the spot.

I'm heading down to see the band - called Nelly's Echo - tonight, to see how they sound in a full set. I'm really excited.

Ever since quitting the restaurant, I have way more free time than I ever could have imagined. I also am realizing that I don't have much of a social life these days other than Friday night happy hours. Especially now that softball seasons are over. So, I've got to make one for myself.

No comments: