Sunday, September 21, 2008

Japan and Ireland in Baltimore

Had a pretty fun weekend, and very multicultural in my visits to area restaurants and bars.

On Friday, we headed after work to Charles Village Pub. My complaint against the place in the past was that it was too smoky. Now, my complaints are mostly to do with the loudness (no reason to have the music up that loud at 5pm), crowd (too many college kids) and size (not enough room for a large group of teachers looking for a Happy Hour location). Still, the staff was nice and the homemade cream of crab soup was terrific.

Afterwards, we headed to Niwana, the Korean restaurant on 33rd street. I'd never really had Korean cuisine outside of Kimchee, and really enjoyed it - plus the two bottles of So Ju that the table split.

Our general Charles Village happy hour location is Bert's Eats and Drinks, formerly Rocky Run. Every time we go there, however, it seems we're disappointed. First off, the place smells bad, and somehow, all the renovation (and I miss the old way that it was) hasn't removed the vomit smell that still emanates. Secondly, the best part of the place, the video trivia, is often taken over by leagues, and that's been quite a disappointment lately. Lastly, it's just way more expensive than it needs to be; recently, I spent $24 on a veggie burger and two beers there.

Still, my friend and I went there after the Japanese restaurant, and played a few rounds of trivia. It was fun, despite the fact that the only females in the place were the promo girls for a new beer, and the ball-busting trivia veteran Skyho, who wins every time. My friend went over to congratulate her, and she turned and said, "Please don't talk to me." Woah.

Last night, it was off to a friend's birthday party at J. Patrick's, a place I don't go very often but have a great time whenever I go. It's so tucked away in a Locust Pointe neighborhood that I forget how to get there every time I go, but the amiable old bartender/owner and the old people playing Irish music always make the trek worth it. Yesterday, all hyped up from the Michigan State Spartans' victory over Notre Dame, I wore my MSU t-shirt and cap, not even making the connection that the Irish bar would be fans of the Fighting Irish. The old guy who runs the place took one look at me, and said, in his thick, thick Irish brogue, "Ya know, you got a nerve, wearing that here tonight." He was friendly nevertheless, though, and I tipped him $3 for my $5 Guinness. All night, I watched the Irish musicians play their traditional Celtic music, and enjoyed myself with my friends.

No comments: